Wednesday, August 26, 2009
1-1/2 cups rava
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup pure ghee
4-5 elaichi, powdered
2 tbsp cashewnuts, broken into very small pieces
2 tbsp raisins
1. Roast rava in two tablespoons of pure ghee till it turns light golden in colour.
2. Mix sugar, roasted rava and elaichi powder and blend in mixer till the powder is fine.
3. Heat the remaining pure ghee in a pan and saute cashewnuts and raisins.
4. Add to the rava-sugar mixture.
5. Mould into small round laddoos. These laddoos can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.
For the filling: 2 cups rava, 1/2 cup pure ghee, 1 cup desiccated coconut (copra), grated, 2 cups castor sugar, 1 tbsp elaichi powder, 3 tbsp khus khus
For the covering: 1-1/2 cup maida, 1/2 cup oil
For the filling:
1. Roast rava in 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup pure ghee till it turns brown in colour
and set aside.
2. In a separate pan roast khus khus in ghee till pink in colour.
3. Add desiccated coconut and roast for five to seven minutes.
4. Mix it well with roasted rava and sugar and set aside.
For the covering:
1. Add one-fourth cup oil to maida and knead to dough. Cover with damp cloth and set aside for about one hour.
2. After an hour make small puris.
3. Place one teaspoon of the filling on one side.
3. Seal by joining along the edges. Run a cutter over the edge to give it shape.
4. Cover the karanjis with a damp cloth before deep frying.
5. Heat oil and deep fry the karanjis till golden brown.
For Balu Shahi: 225 grams maida
125 grams pure ghee, 2 tbsp warm milk, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp warm water
For the syrup: 250 gms sugar,2 cups of water, Boil water and sugar to make sticky syrup.
1. Sieve flour in mixing bowl and add hot ghee and baking powder.
2. Add milk and warm water gradually, kneading it continuously to make a stiff dough.
3. Take a small portion of the dough, mould into a ball and flatten it with a rolling pin.
4. Heat pure ghee in a deep-bottomed pan and fry Balu shahi till golden brown.
6. Dip in syrup and stir from time to time so that they are fully coated with the
7. Take them out one at a time and place in a shallow dish. Balu shahi is now ready to serve.
225 gms pure ghee, 225 gms besan, 350 gms castor sugar, 1 tsp cashew nuts chopped, 1 tsp almonds chopped, 1 tsp pistachio.
Roast besan in pure ghee on low flame. Keep stirring the mixture to avoid lumps. Remove and set aside to cool. Add sugar and cashew nuts to the besan mixture and mix well. Mould into laddus.
1 cup sugar, half cup oil for deep frying, 1-2 cups maida, a pinch of salt
Mix sugar, oil and one cup water in a vessel and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool. After it cools down, add a little salt. Then add the maida little by little and knead to soft dough. Mould into big balls. Flatten each ball with a rolling pin and roll into round shapes. With the help of a knife or a designed mould, make diamond shaped pieces. Carefully lift and deep fry in oil till golden brown in colour.