Monday, August 17, 2009
You will need:
Black gram dal- 1/2 cup (soak for half an hour)
Onion- 1/2 chopped
Garlic- 1 minced
Ginger and chilly paste- 1 tbsp
Tomato puree- 1/2 cup
Cream- 1/4th cup
Red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder- 1/4th tsp
Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
Amchur powder- 1/4th tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil- 1 tbsp.
Fresh coriander- to garnish.
You have to:
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Saute the ginger chilly paste and the garlic together, till brown.
3. Add the onions and saute.
4. Add the chopped tomato and the tomato puree.
5. Add all the spices, except the garam masala.
6. Saute everything till the oil begins to separate.
7. Now add the soaked dal. Add approximately two cups of water.
8. Pressure cook for three whistles,and then turn off the heat.
9. Let it stand till it cools off.
10. Open the pressure cooker, and check if the dal is done. Add water if the dal is very thick and adjust the seasoning.
11. Add the garam masala and the cream, let it simmer for 10- 15 mins. Or till it begins to thicken.
12. Empty it out in a serving bowl, drizzle little cream and some chopped coriander.
13. Have it with plain tandoori roti.