Dry Flavored dal...
1 cup brad (moong dal washed) dal
1 cup onions, sliced
1 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
1 stick cinnamon
2 cloves1 bayleaf
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. pepper powder
Salt according to taste
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. oil
Serve hot with rice, or paratha and a gravy vegetable.
1.Clean, and soak the dal for 15 minutes.
2.Boil in the pressure cooker with 5 cups water, adding turmeric and salt.
3.Drain the water and keep it aside.
4.Heat oil in a pan and add all the spices.
5.Allow to splutter, add onions. Stir fry till light brown.
6.Add dal, lemon juice, masalas. Stir gently. Take care not to mash up dal too much.
7.Garnish with coriander.
PUNJABI SUKHI CHANA DAAL RECIPE..
1 cup - Chana dal
1 Onions, chopped
Salt To taste
1 - Turmeric Powder
Handful - Pinch Corainder leaves
2 - Cinnamon sticks
2 - Cloves
1 - Bayleafs
1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
1 tsp - Lemon Juice
1 tbsp - Ghee
* Clean, wash and soak chana dal for one hour.
* Pressure cook the dal with 3 cups of water. Keep aside.
* Heat ghee in a pan, add cloves, cinnamon stick, bayleafs, cumin seeds and fry until they pop up.
* Add onions and fry till brown. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
* Add dal and let it boil for few minutes.
* Garnish with corainder leaves. When the dal will be cool, add lemon juice and stir well.
* Serve sukhi chana daal hot with rice or paratha.
1 cup toor dal (split gram)
2 medium tomatoes
A bunch of coriander leaves
2 tsp coriander powder
8-10 red chilies or 2-3 tsp chili powder
2-3 flakes garlic
A small piece of ginger
3 small onions
1 tsp cumin seeds or powder
Few cardamoms, cloves & cinnamon
Salt to taste
1. Boil the toor dal in the pressure cooker for only two whistles. It should be just boiled and not too soft.
2. In the blender, grind together 2 onions, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves, tomatoes, cumin seeds, coriander powder and the red chilies or chili powder.
3. Slice the other onion finely and keep aside.
4. Melt butter in a pan and fry the sliced onion with the cardamoms, cinnamon stick and cloves.
5. When the onions are turning a little brown, add the ground masala and fry around 15-20 minutes. All the water should have evaporated and the paste should be dry.
6. Now add the boiled dal to it and add a little water to make gravy. Add salt to taste.
7. Boil for a while till you get the required consistency. This is really delicious if you make it right. It is also very easy.
8. The trick here is to fry the masala well. Serve hot with rice and papad.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Masala Dal Fry...
1 Cup Tuvar dal (Red Gram split)
1 tsp Oil
Juice of ½ Lemon
Salt to taste
For the Masala :
1 inch Ginger
2 - 3 Cloves Garlic
2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
1 big Tomato, Chopped
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 medium sized Onion sliced
4 Green Chilies
Masala Dal FryPressure-cook Tuvar Dal. Grind Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilies, Tomatoes, Coriander leaves and Onions to a paste. Heat Oil in a kadai(wok), add Mustard seeds, Jeera and Turmeric powder. Add the masala paste to the Oil and fry until the moisture evaporates. Add the boiled Tuvar Dal and Salt to the masala and cook for 4 minutes. If it is very thick add a cup of water and stir.
Remove to a serving bowl and add Lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with Ghee Rice or Roti's.
2 cups sabut moong soaked in water
1/2 lb lamb meat with bone
1 tabsp crushed garlic
1 piece of ginger cut into julienne
2 large tomatoes
1/2 cup oil
1 tesp zeera, sabut garam masala
1/2 teasp haldi
2 tabsp crushed red pepper
slice onions and saute in oil, when they turn golden, put in meat, salt with ginger and garlicand stir well. add haldi and crushed pepperalong with cut up tomatoes. put in sabut garm masala and zeera as well. add half cup water . when tomatoes become soft , bhunofy well, add dhall and fill pot with 4 cups waterlet it cook at medium heat. check in between if you need to add more water . cook till dhall and meat are tender. consistency should be for to eat with rice.
when dhall is cooked check if you need to add salt or spices,
serve hot with rice. garnish with green dhania and cut up green chillies.
we also make a home made chat masala which use on dhalls
1/2 cup zeera
2 tablsp black pepper,
seeds of 20 bari elaichi
some dar chini
1 teasp red chilly powder
1 tabsp black salt
1 teasp white salt
grind the above in coffee grinder and keep in air tight jar. use it whenever you need to on dalls or french fries, fried fish etc.