The first recipe is super simple. All one needs to have is a pressure cooker and in no time the dish is ready.
Ghiya also known as BOTTLE GOURD, is usually available in the Indian store and is packed with a lot of curative properties. According to Ayurveda and a lot of home remedies, the bottle gourd juice is excellent for lowering cholesterol, as well as a detox.
Chana dal or GRAM DAL, is from the lentil family and is available easily in Indian stores.
Gram dal with bottle gourd or ghiya chana dal, is a well known combination that is healthy and yet good to taste.
So here is my recipe. I made this without any onions and garlic, so for all those who do not eat onions and garlic, this is a great recipe.
You will need
• Bengal gram or chana dal- 1/2 cup
• Bottle gourd or ghiya- 1 medium size
• Ginger and chilly paste- 1 tbsp
• Tomato puree- 1/2 cup
• Salt to taste
• Red chili powder- 1/2 tsp
• Coriander and cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
• Garam masala powder- 1/4Th tsp
• Turmeric powder- 1/4Th tsp
• Oil- 1/2 tbsp
You have to
1. Soak chana dal in warm water for 15- 20 mins.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
3. Saute the ginger and green chilly paste.
4. Add the soaked chana dal.
5. Cube the bottle gourds.add the cubed bottle gourd to the chana dal.
6. Add all the spices.
7. Add enough water, and pressure cook for 2- 3 whistles.
8. Turn off heat and let it cool off.
9. Open the lid, turn on the heat, and add water, and the tomato puree.
10. Mix everything well. check for seasoning of the dal.
11. Pressure cook for one more whistle if the lentils are slightly uncooked.
12. Dish out and garnish with coriander.
13. Serve with rice, roti, or puri.
The next recipe,is actually a twist on the regular "aloo baigan" (eggplant and potato). I used the baby eggplants for this. And I did take a picture.....but only in its raw form and not of the finished dish.......I wonder why though??? hummmm....well never mind. Here is the recipe.
You will need
• Potato- 3-4
• baby eggplants- 5-6
• sliced onions- 1
• tandoori masala- 1 tsp
• amchoor powder- 1/2 tsp
• red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
• garam masala- 1/2 tsp
• roasted cumin powder- 1/4tsp
• salt-to taste
• oil- around 2 tbsp.
You have to
1. slice the potatoes into wedges.
2. slit the eggplant form the middle into four. do not cut it up fully.
3. in a bowl, combine all the spices, and mix it up with the potatoes and eggplant.
4. let it stand for at least 1/2 and hour.
5. heat oil in a pan. add the oil.
6. saute the sliced onions.
7. add the eggplant and the potatoes along with the spices. you might have to add little water to get the spices together.
8. cover and cook on low, till done.
9. uncover and mix everything up.
10. check if the potatoes and eggplant are done.
11. garnish with coriander and lemon wedges.
I thought later on, that one could even fry the potatoes and then add them
hope all those who try it, like it.
have a great weekend.