Monday, August 17, 2009
SWEET BELL PEPPER PULAO
I made this for the Thursday menu. I got this recipe from a book (the name of which i do not remember). Now when I think about it, this could have been an entry for the bell pepper event that was hosted by pooja.
but that's ok.
the original recipe was that of a biryani, but I altered it to a pulao. I feel the flavours would get more enhanced, if the rice was mixed with the masala, rather than being layered. but you'll can try it both ways.
here is the recipe
You will need
• rice (cooked)- 1 cup
• bell peppers (cut into thin strips)- 2-3 (all of different colours)
• tomato (cut length wise)- 1
• onion (sliced)- 1
• ginger garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
• green chillies- 1/2 tsp
for the dry masala
• cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
• whole red chillies- 1
• bay leaves (tej patta)- 2
• red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
• biryani masala (any brand, I used everest)- 1 tbsp
• salt- to taste
• oil and ghee- 1- 1, 1/2 tbsp
You have to
1. heat the oil and ghee together in a pan.
2. add the cumin seeds along with the red chilly and tej patta.
3. add the ginger garlic paste along with the green chillies.
4. saute. now add the sliced onion. cook till onions turn transparent.
5. add the tomatoes, and cook.
6. now add the bell peppers. add salt and red chilly powder.
7. cook till bell peppers become tender.
8. add half of the biryani masala. mix everything up.
9. add the cooked rice and nicely mix it with the masala.
10. add the rest of the biryani masala. mix well
11. turn down the heat, and cover and cook for 5 mins.
12. turn the heat off, and leave it covered for sometime.
13. serve hot with raita, or any curried vegetable.
if you want to make it as a biryani. then follow the steps below
1. after adding the bell peppers, add all the biryani masala.
2. mix everything up.
3. take a oven proof dish. grease it with butter, ghee or oil.
4. spoon a little of the bell pepper mixture at the bottom, then add rice.
5. sprinkle a little saffron soaked in milk.
6. repeat the layers ending with rice on top.
7. cover with foil and let it cook, in a preheated oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit, for 20-30 mins.